Petrobras Confirms Tupi's Billion-Barrel Potential
Petrobras announced that the drilling of an additional well in the Tupi area has further confirmed estimates of a potential of 5 to 8 billion barrels of recoverable light oil and natural gas in the pre-salt layers of that field. Drilling is still underway seeking for other objectives at greater depths.
The third well, 4-BRSA-711-RJS (4-RJS-647), is located 33 km to the Northeast of Tupi first well, 1-RJS-628, and indicated similar oil type and quality reservoirs, supporting the original estimations for the area.
Informally known as Iracema and drilled by Seadrill's West Taurus semisub, this appraisal well is located about 250 km off the coast of the state of Rio de Janeiro at a water depth of 2,210 meters, following the Tupi Evaluation Plan.
The discovery was proved from light oil samples (about 30 degrees API) through cable testing in reservoirs located at a depth of about 5,000 meters and having been notified to the National Petroleum Agency (ANP) today.
Following the conclusion of the drilling, the Consortium composed by Petrobras (65% - Operator), BG Group (25%) and Galp (10%), jointly responsible for the exploration of the BM-S-11 Block, will continue activities and investments forecasted in the Evaluation Plan approved by ANP, which also considers the drilling of other wells in the area.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
- Seadrill Warns Again Of Chapter 11 As Extends $14B Debt Talks (Jul 26)
Company: Galp Energia more info
- Galp Cuts Investment Plan, Sees Higher EBITDA Growth (Feb 21)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)
- European Oil, Gas Companies Looking to Cut Costs Further (Oct 31)