Petronas Forms UK Joint Venture for Floating LNG Engineering Services
Petronas International Corporation Ltd (PICL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Petronas, has signed an agreement with MISC Bhd and Mustang Engineering Ltd of the United Kingdom to form a joint-venture company providing floating liquefied natural gas (LNG) engineering solutions and services worldwide.
The agreement firms up earlier indications by the three parties late last year to jointly offer conceptual designs, develop project execution plans and facilitate advancement of technologies associated with natural gas liquefaction in offshore environment, commonly referred to as "floating LNG" in the industry.
Under the agreement, the shareholding structure of the new entity, which will be based in Kuala Lumpur, will be as follows:
- PICL 60%
- MISC 30%
- Mustang Engineering 10%
Initially the new joint-venture will focus on accomplishing a front end engineering design for a project in Malaysia. The project has already progressed to achieve first gas production from a floating LNG facility in late 2013. Prospects for projects outside Malaysia are currently being assessed.
The joint-venture company aspires to be a one-stop center in delivering cost-effective engineering solutions to develop and monetize remote offshore gas reserves, create high-value intellectual properties and offer best practices in floating LNG production storage and offloading project management and operations.
Also a key objective of the joint venture is to facilitate capability development and nurture local experts in floating LNG technology through structured resource capability, competencies and research & development programs.
Petronas is already recognized as a global integrated major in the LNG industry, the partnership with MISC and Mustang Engineering is in line with its aspiration to grow further its leadership position in the global LNG business.
Operates 10 Offshore Rigs
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
- JERA's New LNG Contract With Petronas Foretells Smaller, Shorter Deals (Oct 25)
- PFI: Petronas, Aramco Seeking $8B For Malaysian Project (Oct 25)
Company: Mustang Engineering more info
- Mustang Secures Topsides Role for Anardarko's Lucius Development (Dec 20)
- Mustang Completes Engineering Gig at Eni Nikaitchuq Facility (Jun 28)
- Mustang Snags Detail Design Contract for Chevron Facility (Sep 07)
Company: Malaysia International Shipping Corporation Berhad (MISC) more info
- MISC's MaMPU1 to Commence Ops at Vestigo's Anjung Kecil Field Off Sarawak (Sep 30)
- SKTLO Bags $65.3M Contracts for Work Offshore Malaysia, Vietnam (Sep 01)
- MOFT Bags $230M FSO Deal for Chevron's Benchamas 2 Project off Thailand (Aug 24)