StatoilHydro Makes Small Gas Discovery at Canon Prospect
A small gas condensate discovery has been made by StatoilHydro in the Canon prospect, about 11 kilometers west of the Veslefrikk field in the North Sea.
The purpose of the exploration well was to prove petroleum in a fault block between the Huldra and Oseberg fields.
The well tested two reservoir levels -- an upper one belonging to the Brent group and a deeper level in the Statfjord group.
"The exploration well struck gas condensate in the Brent group but the reservoir was thinner than expected and the find is probably not commercial," said Tom Dreyer, StatoilHydro's vice president for infrastructure exploration in the North Sea.
Deeper in the structure, the well struck sandstone belonging to the Statfjord group. Data gathered from this interval showed that the reservoir consisted of tight sand and was probably full of water.
Drilled by the West Alpha semisubmersible, the well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned. The rig's charter with StatoilHydro will terminate once the well is completed.
This is the second well to be tested in the Canon structure. An exploration well drilled in 2000 provided inconclusive results about the economic potential of the structure.
The licensees in production license 052 are: operator StatoilHydro (18%), Petoro (37.0%), RWE Dea Norge (13.5%), Revus Energy (4.5%) and Talisman Resources Norge (27.0%).
- The exploration well in the Canon prospect is termed 30/3-10 S
- The gas condensate find was made in the Brent group in Middle Jurassic rocks, on the eastern flank of Viking Graben
- Well 30/3-10 S was drilled to a vertical depth of 3,962 meters; water depth in the area is 122 meters
- The exploration well drilled in 2000 is termed 30/3-9
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
- Japan's JX, GDF Suez Find New Oil in UK North Sea (Mar 13)
Company: Revus Energy more info
- StatoilHydro Makes Small Gas Discovery at Canon Prospect (Apr 30)
- RWE Confirms Successful Luno Appraisal Test, Field Extension (Jan 30)
- Spring Energy Snags Stake in North Sea Production License (Jan 28)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
- Seadrill Warns Again Of Chapter 11 As Extends $14B Debt Talks (Jul 26)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)