StatoilHydro Takes Bigger Bite of BHP's DeSoto Canyon Blocks
StatoilHydro has acquired a 40% stake in 50 blocks from BHP Billiton in the frontier DeSoto Canyon area of the US Gulf of Mexico.
"DeSoto Canyon is a mostly unexplored region in the eastern part of the Gulf of Mexico (GOM). Obtaining early access to new plays is regarded by the company as key to our success," said StatoilHydro vice president of exploration for North America, Tony Dore.
"We did a similar early access deal with ExxonMobil in 2005 in the Walker Ridge Area of Central GOM. We believe that through a close cooperation with BHP Billiton we can mature high quality prospects," he added.
DeSoto Canyon is located east of StatoilHydro's current production operation at Independence Hub. The area has water depths of about 1,000 meters.
StatoilHydro and BHP Billiton bid at the recent OCS Central Lease Sale 208 on 14 additional blocks within the trend, and together the two companies were the apparent high bidder on all blocks.
The issuance of leases on these 14 blocks is subject to the Minerals Management Service's final approval.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Minerals Management Service (MMS) more info
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)