Converteam to Gear Up 2 Newbuild Drillships for Offshore Brazil Operations
Converteam closed 2008 with more contract success for their C-Series of integrated ship control systems. Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) of South Korea awarded Converteam with further contracts to engineer, supply and commission the cutting edge integrated control systems for two newbuild drillships. These latest orders follow the several earlier drillship contracts from DSME and other major shipbuilders.
Due for delivery in 2010 and 2011 respectively the drillships, rated for water depths of up to 10,000 feet, are owned by Odebrecht S.A. of Brazil and will be contracted to work in the Campos Basin region of offshore Brazil on behalf of Petrobras.
Converteam's distributed control system, the C-Series, scope of delivery embraces a full vessel automation system, a power management system, fire/gas and emergency shutdown systems, load and stability calculator and a full Class 3 triple voting dynamic position control system. An extensive data recording system is included as is a full complement of sensors and auxiliary equipment.
For the first time Converteam will supply a riser management system and fully integrate it with the C-Series dynamic position control system.
Neil Barford, Offshore & Merchant Business Manager for Converteam UK Ltd, said, "These latest contracts are particularly noteworthy since they represent further confirmation of Converteam's position as a market leader in the field.
"We believe our approach to this business area is unique," continued Barford. "Converteam is essentially an engineering and systems integration company, so what we offer goes way beyond a standard offering of 'off the shelf' components. We make sure that our systems are designed and engineered with the needs of the shipbuilder and the end user in mind. Where we really earn our position as market leader is by our engineering and the integrating third party equipment to ensure we avoid unexpected difficulties at any stage in project implementation. It’s what we do: system engineering."
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Odebrecht more info
- Odebrech's OOG to Honor Bond Payment a Week After Deadline (Mar 31)
- Peru Says It Will Nix Key Odebrecht Contract If Won Through Bribes (Dec 27)
- Odebrecht Oil & Gas To Miss Perp Interest Payment (Mar 17)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)