Kosmos Energy Seeks Buyers for Ghana Oil Assets
LONDON (Dow Jones Newswires), Feb. 10, 2009
Kosmos Energy LLC is seeking buyers for its stakes in a huge West African oil field, two people familiar with the matter said, in the latest sign that tight credit markets and low oil prices are hurting smaller firms.
The possible divestment -- which has attracted the interest of large oil players -- also highlights the increasing consolidation in the sector. It could herald the majors' entry into Ghana, a West African nation set to become an oil producer next year.
Dallas-based, privately held Kosmos has appointed advisers to handle the sale of its stakes in two blocks that span the Jubilee oil field in Ghana, and they could fetch as much as $3 billion, one of the persons said.
Chevron Corp., ExxonMobil Corp., Italy's Eni SpA, India's Oil & Natural Gas Corp., and Cnooc Ltd. have expressed interest in the Ghana assets, the person added.
It comes at a time of tight credit markets which are making it harder for smaller oil producers to cover the cost of bringing new projects online, and prompting some to seek buyers for individual assets or the company as a whole.
Oil prices are down $100 a barrel from their peak in July last year, and aren't forecast to rebound any time soon, potentially forcing operators to delay production if they want to maximize returns.
"Our sense is that Kosmos doesn't really want to sell, but may feel it has no option given where oil prices are right now. It wants to know the valuation that the market is putting on the Jubilee asset," said an official at one of the companies considering a bid.
The Jubilee field is one of West Africa's biggest oil strikes in years, likely containing recoverable reserves of at least 1.2 billion barrels of oil equivalent, with first output scheduled for the second half of 2010.
Kosmos, which is backed by private-equity firms Warburg Pincus and Blackstone Group, operates the West Cape Three Points block with a 30.875% stake and has an 18% stake in the adjacent Deepwater Tano block. The Jubilee field straddles both blocks in the Gulf of Guinea.
The person said partners in the blocks, including Tullow Oil PLC and Anadarko Petroleum Corp., have the right to pre-empt any stake sale agreed by Kosmos.
Anadarko has already flagged its willingness to pre-empt a sale, the person added, although it will likely seek to bring in a new partner to the Jubilee field in exchange for them carrying much of its development costs.
A spokesman for Kosmos didn't return requests for comment.
Spokespeople for Eni, Chevron, ONGC, ExxonMobil and Anadarko declined to comment. A spokesman for Cnooc wasn't aware of any talks.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 36 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
- Biggest Indian Explorer Is Said to Plan First Ever Borrowings (Aug 10)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
Company: CNOOC more info
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- China's CNOOC Begins Oil Partner Hunt in Mexico Deep Waters (Sep 15)
Company: Kosmos Energy more info
- BP's West Africa Partner Kosmos To List In London By End-September (Aug 02)
- BP, Kosmos Make Major Gas Find Off Coast Of Senegal (May 08)
- BP to Create New LNG Hub in Africa with Latest Kosmos Buy (Dec 19)