J P Kenny Snags Subsea Contract for Shell's Gumusut-Kakap Deepwater Devt
J P Kenny Wood Group Sdn Bhd has been awarded a contract by Sabah Shell Petroleum Co. Ltd. for subsea integration and follow-on engineering works for the Gumusut-Kakap Deepwater Development located 120km offshore Sabah, Malaysia.
The four-year contract is for the provision of specialist subsea engineers, engineering studies, design and follow-on engineering supports through to the fabrication and commissioning phases of the project. The Sabah Shell Petroleum company will be the operator of the development which will deploy Malaysia's first deepwater semisubmersible with a design production capacity of 150,000 bbl/d.
"We believe that Gumusut is now the most significant deepwater project in SE Asia, and we are delighted to have been chosen by Shell as their engineering provider," said Suhaimi Ismail, Operations Director of J P Kenny Wood Group in Kuala Lumpur.
The Gumusut-Kakap field offshore Malaysia lies in waters up to 1,200 meters deep. Shell has a 33% interest in this development, which has peak production of 135,000 bbl/d.
The Gumusut-Kakap field is the first deepwater opportunity for Shell in Malaysia. The field will be developed using 19 subsea wells with oil exported via a pipeline to a new oil and gas terminal, which will be built in Kimanis, Sabah. Natural gas that is produced along with the oil will be re-injected into the reservoir to help improve oil recovery.
In Jan. 2008, FMC Technologies was awarded a contract from Shell for the supply of the Gumusut-Kakap deepwater subsea systems. The scope of supply for phase one of the project included 15 subsea trees, five manifolds, subsea drilling systems, control systems, flowline connections and related subsea equipment and life-of-field support.
The Gumusut-Kakap project was the first Malaysian subsea project to be engineered and manufactured at FMC Technologies' facilities in Kuala Lumpur and Nusajaya, Malaysia.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Wood Group more info
- Wood to Design Pioneering LNG Platform (Oct 17)
- Wood Group Wins Total Refinery Maintenance Contract (Oct 11)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
Company: J P Kenny more info
- J P Kenny Wins Julimar FEED Contract (May 20)
- J P Kenny Wins Services Contract for TAQA's North Sea Assets (Feb 11)
- Woodside Awards Browse LNG Development Contracts (Feb 10)