StatoilHydro Pounces on Gas, Condensate at Fulla Prospect
StatoilHydro has completed the drilling of an exploration well in the Fulla prospect, northeast of the Frigg field in the North Sea. Gas and condensate were found.
Exploration well 30/11-7 was drilled by the West Alpha semisubmersible drilling unit in production license PL 362/PL035B. The purpose of the drilling was to prove hydrocarbons in the Brent group, in Middle Jurassic rocks near the abandoned Lille Frigg field.
No hydrocarbons were found in the upper part of the Brent group which was the main target of the exploration well. But hydrocarbons in the form of gas/condensate were discovered in the lower parts of the Brent group.
"It is gratifying that we have again proven hydrocarbons in these areas, where finds can quickly be brought on stream," said Tom Dreyer, vice president for infrastructure-led exploration North Sea in Exploration & Production Norway. "We are now considering drilling a sidetrack well to delineate the extent of the find."
The well has proven recoverable volumes in the region of 6-19 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The well was drilled to a vertical depth of 4,067 meters below sea level in 111 meters of water. Drilling was terminated in Early Jurassic rocks.
After extensive gathering of data and core samples, the well has been temporarily plugged and abandoned.
The licensees in PL362 are: StatoilHydro -- operator (50%), Svenska Petroleum Exploration (25%), Det norske oljeselskap (15%) and Dana Petroleum Norway (10%).
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Det norske oljeselskap ASA more info
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)
Company: Svenska Petroleum more info
- Det Norske Buys Svenska Petroleum's Norwegian Business for $75M (Oct 14)
- Det Norske Drills Two Dry Wells (Sep 09)
- Statoil Finds Oil, Gas at Askja (Jan 02)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)