OHM Welcomes UK High Court's Decision in Schlumberger-EMGS Patent Case
Offshore Hydrocarbon Mapping notes the decision of the UK High Court to revoke three key patents on Controlled Source ElectroMagnetic (CSEM) surveying granted by the European and UK Patent Offices to emgs of Norway. The case was brought by Schlumberger on the grounds that the ideas that the patents sought to protect were already well known and in the public domain.
The revoked patents in question covered ;
- The general use of CSEM for direct detection of hydrocarbons
- The direct detection of hydrocarbons by CSEM using certain 3-D geometries
- Combining CSEM and seismic for direct detection of hydrocarbons
OHM has stated for several years that the above patents were invalid and unenforceable, especially given the long history of published prior academic research including notable works by Dr. Lucy MacGregor, one of the founders of OHM. The decision of the UK Court confirms that OHM can continue to operate within UK patent jurisdictions.
This is the first time the validity of these patents has been ruled on by a court. This decision by the respected UK court will serve as useful guidance in other jurisdictions.
Lucy MacGregor, OHM's Chief Scientific Officer, said, "We welcome legal clarification in line with our view of the situation. CSEM is a very valuable tool for oil and gas exploration. Too much time, effort and focus has been placed on dealing with emgs's now discredited patent claims rather than promoting the value of this technology to the industry. This decision will hopefully allow us all to get on with our mission of helping our clients improve their exploration success, without uncertainty, interference or threat of legal action from these claims."
- Top Oilfield Services Firms Signal Fourth-Quarter Uncertainty (Oct 20)
- Schlumberger's Latest Asset Deal Raises Fresh Concerns Ahead Of 3Q (Oct 19)
- Offshore Start-Up Borr Drilling Aims To Expand Fleet, Keep Costs Low (Aug 30)
Company: Electromagnetic Geoservices ASA (emgs) more info
- EMGS Secures Contract Extension With Malaysian Oil Company (Nov 17)
- EMGS Confirms Further Staff Cuts (Oct 17)
- EMGS Confirms Staff Cuts (Apr 14)
Company: Offshore Hydrocarbon Mapping (OHM) more info
- OHM Bags CSEM Contract in North Sea (Jun 11)
- Rock Solid Images Scores Major West African Seismic Gig (Dec 01)
- OHM Secures CSEM Survey in Offshore Equatorial Guinea (Nov 16)