Indo-Pacific Increases Stake in Taranaki Basin Acreage
Indo-Pacific Energy Ltd. has signed an agreement to acquire Horizon Oil NL's equity in several onshore Taranaki exploration assets in New Zealand. This consolidates the Company's acreage position over the most prospective area of the onshore basin. The permits and equities are:
- PEP 38716 (28.34%)
- PEP 38718 (10%)
- PEP 38728 (48%)
- PEP 38738 (23.75% Net Revenue Interest).
A total price of US$575,000 (NZ$1m) has been agreed, with payment of 20% of the sum upon completion, and the remainder within 3 months. PEP 38718 and PEP 38728 are subject to the right of pre-emption by the existing permit holders.
PEP 38716, in which Indo-Pacific already holds a 14.05% equity, is adjacent to the prolific Waihapa oil field, and contains the Wingrove-1 well, which flow tested oil at around 60 barrels per day from shallow Mt Messenger sands, in the early 90's. The Waihapa-8 well flow-tested 750 barrels of oil per day from Mt Messenger sands in a western fault block of the Oru Prospect, which lies largely within PEP 38716. In addition, several deeper prospects and leads are identified, including Atarangi and Rawhitiroa, which lie south along trend from Swift's Waihapa oil field.
The Net Revenue Interest in PEP 38738 has considerable value to the Company, given that it is now commencing flow testing of the Cheal-1 well, with a view to commercializing the Cheal gas field in the near future. Several other shallow targets similar to Cheal are identified in PEP 38738. In addition, deep gas potential was identified by the early 90's Cardiff-1 well. The high demand for new gas in New Zealand, and the presence of nearby gas pipeline infrastructure, encourage renewed evaluation of Cardiff and similar structures.
- Indo-Pacific Energy Changes Name to Austral Pacific Energy (Jan 02)
- Indo-Pacific Energy Plans to Drill 10 Wells in Two Years (Dec 15)
- Indo-Pacific Says Cheal-1 Production Test Positive (Oct 31)
Company: Horizon Oil more info
- Drilling Commences at WZ 12-8W-A6P1 Appraisal Well in China's Beibu Gulf (Nov 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
- OMV Successfully Completes Maari Redevelopment Project Off New Zealand (Jul 02)