J. Ray Installs Poinsettia Jacket Offshore Trinidad for Phase 3 Development
Houston-based J. Ray McDermott, a subsidiary of McDermott International, Inc., has completed its portion of a contract with BG Trinidad & Tobago (BG T&T) for work on the Poinsettia field development project located offshore the northern coast of Trinidad in waters 530 feet deep.
The contract was awarded to a consortium between J. Ray and Fluor Daniel South America Limited ("Fluor"), a subsidiary of Fluor Corporation.
"The Poinsettia project is a strong testament to the extensive capabilities of J. Ray," said Bob Deason, President and Chief Executive Officer of J. Ray. "We were successful in winning this contract due to our ability to provide our customer with a complete engineering, procurement, construction, and installation solution within a single contract."
J. Ray undertook procurement, design and fabrication of a 9,100-ton, 4-leg, 12-skirt jacket and 4,656 tons of piles, and had 375 people involved on the project at peak construction. Design work was completed at J. Ray's engineering office in Houston and construction took place at the company’s fabrication facility in Morgan City, Louisiana.
"This was the second jacket we delivered for transport to Trinidad within a one-month period," added Deason. "We look forward to continuing our relationship with BG T&T and further assisting them in increasing the energy supply to their country and bringing energy to market in this important region of the world."
Along with the jacket and piles, J. Ray transported and installed the topsides, which were fabricated in Trinidad. Consortium leader Fluor performed overall project management and fabricated the 4,267-ton topsides using Trinidad-based TOFCO, a joint venture of Louisiana, US-based Chet Morrison Contractors and Trinidad-based Weldfab Limited. Fluor / TOFCO will perform the final platform commissioning through to mechanical completion.
Having completed the project, the DB50 returned to the U.S. where it began preparing for its next project in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Poinsettia project is part of BG T&T's North Coast Marine Area (NCMA) Phase 3 field development to supply gas to trains 2, 3, and 4 of Atlantic LNG in Point Fortin, South Trinidad.
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Fluor Corporation more info
- Fluor to Lead Engineering, Procurement for $2.4B Texas Project (Oct 10)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)
- Fluor to Support FEED for Woodfibre Project Near Vancouver (Feb 17)
Company: J. Ray McDermott more info
- J. Ray McDermott Says Hello to New CFO (May 12)
- J. Ray McDermott Secures Fabrication Contract on Gorgon Project (May 06)
- J. Ray Reels in Second Subsea Gig in Vietnam (Apr 06)
Company: TOFCO more info
- Poinsettia Project Honored as 'Overseas Project of the Year' (Nov 03)
- BG Group Fires Up First Gas at Poinsettia Platform Offshore Trinidad (Feb 09)
- J. Ray Installs Poinsettia Jacket Offshore Trinidad for Phase 3 Development (Jan 12)