Woodside Increases Production from Legendre Field
A successful new horizontal development well has helped to increase production by about 17,000 barrels a day to about 46,000 barrels a day at the Legendre oil fields offshore Western Australia in permit WA-20-L.
This is the result of several production initiatives which form part of Woodside's profitability enhancement program (PEP) designed to lift oil and gas production over the next three years.
The Woodside-operated Legendre joint venture recently completed the Legendre North-4H well in permit WA-20-L, about 100km offshore from Karratha.
The well was drilled on the western flank of the Legendre North field, in 52 meters of water, as part of the production initiatives. Consequently Legendre production has risen above the Ocean Legend oil facility's November 2001 record of 45,000 barrels a day.
Woodside's Oil Business Unit Director, Keith Spence, said the new well would accelerate production and potentially access additional reserves.
He said the well, along with improved compressor performance, had exceeded expectations with total Legendre production now likely to be about 10 million barrels in 2003 (WPL share 4.6 million barrels) and 9 million barrels in 2004 (WPL share 4.1 million).
"A key objective for us over the past year has been to optimize production and chase barrels from our existing facilities," Mr. Spence said.
"This result is a direct consequence of these initiatives, and supports Woodside's strategic focus on short-term production enhancement to reverse our production decline ahead of the growth we anticipate from new projects from 2006."
Legendre, which had proved and probable reserves of 40.1 million barrels, has produced 22 million barrels to date and has a remaining field life of three to four years.
The Legendre joint venture participants are Woodside (45.94%); Apache (31.5%), and Santos (22.56%).
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
- Trade Group Oil & Gas UK Makes 4 Board Appointments (Oct 04)
Company: Santos Ltd. more info
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
- Australia's Santos To Focus On Long-Life Gas In Growth Push (Dec 08)
Company: Woodside more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)