Drilling Commences at UKCS Carna Prospect
Ithaca has commenced the drilling of the 43/21b-A well to explore the Carna prospect in the UKCS Southern Gas Basin as expected.
Using the, Ensco 92 rig, operated by Venture North Sea Gas Limited (Venture), the 43/21b-A well was spudded on December 26. The Carna prospect is a significant potential gas-bearing structure located in Block 43/21b, in which Ithaca has a 29.9% interest. The prospect lies adjacent the Garrow and Kilmar gas fields.
The 43/21b-A well will be drilled vertically to a depth of approximately 11,000 feet TVDSS. The well will take approximately 50 days to reach total depth and will target Permian age Leman sandstones and underlying potential in the Carboniferous section. If successful, the well will be tested and suspended for fast-track development.
Ithaca originally held a 60% interest in this license block. In January 2008, the Company agreed to farm-out a 20% interest in the Carna prospect to Venture in exchange for 30% of the well costs, retaining a 40% working interest. Since then Dyas UK Limited has purchased a 25.25% interest in all Ithaca's assets, including Carna, and will benefit from the terms of Ithaca's original farmout to Venture. Ithaca has thus reduced its overall cost exposure in this well to a 22.425% paying interest whilst retaining 29.9% working interest.
The co-participants involved in the Carna prospect are Venture (56%, operator), Ithaca Energy (UK) Limited (29.9%), Dyas UK Limited (10.1%) and EWE Aktiengesellschaft (4%).
Manages 65 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Venture Production more info
- Venture Production Shuffles Board (Sep 10)
- Venture Announces Board Changes (Aug 27)
- Venture Advises Shareholders to Accept Centrica's Offer (Aug 25)
Company: Ithaca Energy more info
- Ithaca Energy Starts Production from North Sea Stella Field (Feb 17)
- Delek Group to Issue Ithaca Energy Takeover Bid for $524MM (Feb 06)
- Ithaca Energy: Stella Production Start-up Delayed (Jan 12)
Company: EWE Aktiengesellschaft more info
- Parkmead Buys 20% of Athena Field (Dec 30)
- Ithaca, Partners Initiate Athena Project in UK North Sea (Feb 08)
- Wintershall Confirms Oil at Ravn-3 in Danish North Sea (Dec 17)
Company: Dyas BV more info
- Ithaca Says Stella Production Facility Undergoing Sea Trials (Jul 22)
- Lundin Finds Gas at Maligan Prospect Offshore East Malaysia (Mar 03)
- Lundin Farms Out Stakes in 3 PSCs Offshore Malaysia to DYAS (Feb 02)