Seadrill Takes Delivery of Ultra-Deepwater Drillship West Capella
Seadrill has taken delivery of the ultra-deepwater drillship West Capella from Samsung Heavy Industries in South Korea in line with the initial construction schedule. The drillship will, subsequent to completion of some general mobilization activities, relocate to Nigeria in West Africa to commence operations under a five-year contract with Total.
West Capella is the sixth deepwater drilling unit out of originally eight newbuilds that Seadrill had ordered for delivery this year. The two remaining newbuilds West Aquarius and West Eminence are expected to be delivered early January and early February next year respectively.
Alf C Thorkildsen, Chief Executive Officer in Seadrill Management AS, said, "We are pleased to report the on time delivery of our second newbuild deepwater drillship from Samsung and look forward to commence what will be our first deepwater drilling operation offshore Nigeria for Total. Furthermore, this is the second deepwater newbuild delivered to Seadrill this year that has a long-term contract with Total. Next week we will also commence operations for Total offshore Norway with new semisubmersible drilling rig West Phoenix ."
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
- Report: Quarter Of Oil Refineries Risk Closure Under Climate Goals (Nov 02)
Company: Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) more info
- Samsung Wins Mad Dog 2 Fabrication Contract (Jan 05)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
- South Korean Yards Restructure, Trim Workforce (Sep 08)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)