Vegas Hits Paydirt at Egypt's North West Gemsa Concession
Circle Oil has announced the successful re-entry and sidetrack of well Al Amir-1X, in the North West Gemsa Concession, Egypt.
Al Amir-1X discovered oil in a single pay zone in April 2005. This re-entry was done to redrill and test a new sidetracked section of the well in order to re-appraise the well as a potential producer. This work has now been completed and following sidetracking to a total vertical depth of 5,270 feet, two pay zones have been identified.
The previously discovered upper pay zone in the Gharib formation dolomites has been confirmed by the sidetrack well. This upper zone has been tested with a sustained rate of 416 bopd, API 16.
A new lower pay zone has also been encountered in the Gharib formation dolomites. The Company intends to test and confirm the flow rate potential from the new lower pay zone when the well is brought into commercial production.
The Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation ("EGPC") has given a positive response to the partners 'Declaration of Commerciality' submission made to them for both wells. Development plans to bring the wells into early commercial production have also been submitted to EGPC.
The North West Gemsa Concession partners include: Vegas Oil and Gas (50% interest and operator); Circle Oil plc (40% interest) and Premier Oil plc (10% interest). The concession covers an area of over 400 square kilometers and lies about 300 kilometers southeast of Cairo, in a partially unexplored part of the Gulf of Suez Basin. The concession agreement includes the right of conversion to a production license of 20 years, plus extensions, in the event of commercial discoveries.
David Hough CEO, Circle Oil, said, ''The confirmation of the original Al-Amir-1 discovery together with its new lower pay zone further enhances the potential and commerciality of this part of the North West Gemsa Concession. We are delighted to have received the Declaration of Commerciality for both wells from EGPC and we plan to bring the two discoveries online in the shortest time frame.
"With our two recently announced discoveries in Morocco and now two positive results in Egypt we are very pleased with our drilling results to date.''
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
- Mexico Oil Privatization Pays Off With Billion-Barrel Find (Jul 12)
- Premier Oil Expects Weak Pound To Help Bottom Line (Jan 12)
Company: Circle Oil more info
- Gas Production Restarts at ONHYM Pipeline in Morocco (Sep 16)
- Circle Oil Suffers Temporary Production Dip in Morocco Due to Earthquake (Aug 08)
- Circle Oil Agrees Repayment Extension (Jun 24)
Company: EGPC more info
- KUFPEC Inks Exploration Agreement for Pakistan's Paharpur Block (Mar 16)
- Egypt Awards Oil and Gas Exploration Blocks (Sep 19)
- Ministry: Egypt Names New Chairman of State Oil Company (Aug 22)
Company: Vegas Oil and Gas S.A. more info
- Vegas O&G Makes 3rd Oil Find in East Ghazalat Concession (Nov 04)
- Vegas O&G Brings Egyptian Appraisal Well Online (Mar 25)
- Vegas O&G Completes 4th Al-Amir Appraisal in Egypt (Mar 09)