Ultra-Deepwater Independence Named Engineering Project of the Year

Enterprise Products Partners L.P. and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation announced that the record-setting Independence project has been recognized as the Engineering Project of the Year by Platts, a leading global provider of energy and commodities information serving customers across more than 150 countries. The announcement was made during the tenth annual Platts Global Energy Awards event held Dec. 3, 2008 in New York City. The competition drew entries from energy companies in 22 countries that represent more than a dozen industry sectors.

"The fact that Independence was singled out from such a strong field of international contenders underscores the world-class achievement of this initiative," said Michael A. Creel, Enterprise president and chief executive officer. "In addition to the engineering and technological milestones achieved by Independence, this award is also recognition of the strong collaborative relationship between Enterprise, Anadarko and the other producers, as well as the various contractors that contributed to the success of the project."

"We are honored to receive this award in recognition of the innovative engineering that was required to bring these vital resources to American consumers," Anadarko Senior Vice President, Worldwide Operations Chuck Meloy said. "The Independence project truly is a great example of what our industry can accomplish through collaboration, innovation and access. We thank our partners, vendors and co-recipient Enterprise for their efforts in making the Independence project a world-class success."

Located in the ultra-deepwaters of the Gulf of Mexico, Independence consists of a central processing hub, a 134-mile export pipeline and an array of subsea infrastructure with the capability to deliver up to 1 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day. When it began production in July 2007, the Independence project established numerous records for offshore development, including:

  • the world's deepest platform in approximately 8,000 feet of water
  • the world's deepest subsea production tree, located in 9,000 feet of water
  • the world's deepest flowline installation
  • the world's deepest export pipeline and riser, originating in 8,000 feet of water
  • the world's longest mooring lines at 2.4 miles
  • the Gulf of Mexico's largest gas processing facility with 1 Bcf/d of capacity

The Independence Hub is operated by Anadarko and owned 80 percent by Enterprise with Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. owning the remaining 20 percent. The Independence Trail pipeline is owned 100 percent by Enterprise. The Atwater Valley Producers Group, which has working interests in and operates the discovery fields, is comprised of Anadarko, Devon Energy Corporation, Eni and StatoilHydro.
 

Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE


Most Popular Articles


From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Blow Out Prevention (BOP) Specialist
Expertise: Subsea Engineer|Subsea Engineering
Location: Houston, TX
 
Project Engineer
Expertise: Project Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL
 
United States Midland: Entry Level Scientist - Chemistry
Expertise: Chemist
Location: Midland, TX
 
search for more jobs

Natural Gas : $3.64/MMBtu 0.27%
Brent Crude Oil : $53.93/BBL 1.83%
Light Crude Oil : $50.93/BBL 1.66%
Updated in last 24 hours