Norse Confirms Petrobras' Discovery at Copaiba Well Offshore Brazil
Norse Energy, in partnership with Petrobras (Operator), Queiroz Galvao Oil & Gas and El Paso, have announced a discovery in the Copaiba exploration well in the BM-CAL-5 block, Camamu-Almada Basin. Norse has an 18.33% interest in the well.
On November 25th the Operator completed the drilling and flow test of the 1-BRSA-637D-BAS (1-BAS-140D) well in 492 meters water depth. Drilled by Diamond Offshore's Ocean Winner, the well reached a total depth of 3,283 meters.
The well confirmed the presence of oil bearing sandstone reservoir with 21% porosity, without identifying any oil water contact in this interval. The flow test conducted in the 2,755-2,773 meter interval confirmed the presence of 32-degree API oil. Tests results are under analysis together with other geological and geophysical data. In accordance with the established Concession Agreement, the extension and commerciality of the discovery will be appraised in an 'Evaluation Plan' to be submitted to ANP.
Norse Energy CEO Oivind Risberg commented, "It is very encouraging that we now have established a light oil discovery in the Camamu-Almada Basin, even though net pay may be lower than our pre-drill estimate. However, it is still too early to provide accurate information about the size of the discovery, and we look forward to the appraisal process."
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: El Paso more info
- E&Y: 2012 'Record Year' for O&G Deals (Jan 24)
- FTC Approves Kinder Morgan Acquisition of El Paso (May 01)
- Sources: KNOC A Partner in El Paso E&P Acquisition (Mar 19)
Company: Diamond Offshore more info
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
- Diamond Offshore Sees Recovery when Oil "Well Over $60" (Feb 06)
Company: Queiroz Galvao more info
- Karoon Contracts Olinda Star Semisub for Drilling in Brazil's Santos Basin (Dec 24)
- QGEP Says Brazil Manati Field Holds 477 Bcf of Gas (Aug 13)
- Mayor: Petrobras Close to Suspending Contract for Two Platforms (Jun 09)
Company: Norse Energy more info
- Norse Set to Sell New York Assets (Jun 20)
- New York Landowners Sue Norse Energy USA Over Leases (May 20)
- Norse Energy Sees Increase in Reserves, Resources (Feb 21)