Unrest Costing Nigeria 397,697 B/D in Oil Output
LAGOS (Dow Jones Newswires), December 5, 2008
Unrest in the Niger Delta, the heart of Nigeria's oil industry, is costing 397,697 barrels of lost production a day, the Department of Petroleum Resources said Friday.
Some 113 oil fields -- operated by Royal Dutch Shell PLC, Chevron Corp., Mobil Producing Nigeria, a unit of Exxon Mobil Corp., Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited, Canada's Addax Petroleum Corp. and the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company -- are shut due to security, community and operational issues, it said.
"Average daily production deferment in the first quarter was 406,393 barrels a day, as against the current 397,697 barrels a day," said the department, which regulates Nigeria's oil and gas industry.
Oil pipelines, facilities and personnel in the Niger Delta have been targets of militant attacks in the past three years, which have cut Nigeria's oil output by more than a quarter.
Total production now stands at around 2 million barrels a day, down from 2.6 million barrels in 2006.
Nigeria, which counts on oil for 99% of its export earnings and 85% of its government revenues, according to World Bank figures, was Africa's largest oil producer before it was overtaken in April by Angola.
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: Addax more info
- Chinese-Owned Oil Firm Addax Shuts Offices After Swiss Bribery Case (Aug 07)
- North Sea Decom: 'Campaign Approach' Required to Drive Down Costs (Sep 15)
- Addax Extends Yinson's FPSO Charter Contract for $129M (Oct 20)
Company: Department of Petroleum Resources, Nigeria more info
- Unrest Costing Nigeria 397,697 B/D in Oil Output (Dec 05)
- Nigeria Oil Union Begins Nationwide Strike (Jun 20)
- Afren, Amni Win Nod for Okoro Setu in Nigeria (Apr 03)