Pre-Salt to Make Brazil's Reserves World's 9th Biggest
MADRID (Dow Jones Newswires), November 24, 2008
About $400 billion will be needed to develop Brazil's promising pre-salt oil area over a 10-year period, according to a preliminary estimate, Haroldo Lima, the president of Brazil's National Petroleum Agency, or ANP, said Monday.
The estimate is based on calculations by the ANP, Brazil's state-run oil firm Petroleo Brasileiro SA, or Petrobras, and Brazil's government, Lima said. He spoke to Dow Jones Newswires ahead of the Brazil-Spain Investment Forum in Madrid.
Oil found in the area lies usually at water depths of 2,000 meters or more, and then several thousand meters further under layers of salt, rocks and sand, which makes production expensive and challenging.
According to preliminary estimates, the pre-salt could contain between 50 billion and 70 billion barrels of oil, Lima said.
Due to recent discoveries, Brazil's proven oil reserves likely jumped to about 14 billion barrels in 2008 from 12.6 billion barrels in 2007, Lima also said, adding that the 2008 figure still isn't consolidated. The ANP usually gives its annual reserve estimates in January.
Spanish oil company Repsol-YPF, Portugal's Galp Energia SPGS SA, BG Group, ExxonMobil Corp., and Royal Dutch Shell PLC., have significant stakes in Brazil's pre-salt area.
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
- Guyana-Suriname Basin Emerges as a Hotbed of Oil, Gas Exploration (Nov 17)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
- CEO: Brazil's Petrobras Could Bid On More Blocks In Pre-Salt Auction (Oct 24)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)
- Brazil Pre-Salt Oil Output Surpasses All Other Fields In June (Jul 31)
Company: Galp Energia more info
- Galp Cuts Investment Plan, Sees Higher EBITDA Growth (Feb 21)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)
- European Oil, Gas Companies Looking to Cut Costs Further (Oct 31)