API Supports MMS' Actions Ahead of Offering Offshore Virginia Leases
The American Petroleum Institute has issued the following statement from API President and CEO Jack Gerard.
America's oil and natural gas industry welcomes the action today by the Minerals Management Service to begin a public comment period and a thorough environmental assessment ahead of offering offshore Virginia oil and natural gas leases.
The American public has made clear its strong support for increased access to untapped domestic oil and natural gas resources; a full 70 percent of Virginians in July supported increased access. The industry stands ready to help put America's vast energy resources to good use to strengthen our nation's economy and energy security, generate billions of dollars for the benefit of our federal and state treasuries and provide good jobs for Americans across the country.
The industry has proven it can develop these resources in an environmentally safe manner. With energy consumption expected to grow in the coming decades, America needs access to its untapped domestic resources. Beginning the process of leasing offshore Virginia is a good start.
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: American Petroleum Institute (API) more info
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- API: Obama Catering to Activists with Oil Tax Proposal (Feb 08)
- Industry Groups Say Proposed Flaring Rules are Costly, Unnecessary (Jan 22)