ChevronTexaco & ConocoPhillips Team Up in Venezuela
ChevronTexaco and ConocoPhillips have announced a partnership in the exploration and development of Block 2 in Venezuela's offshore Plataforma Deltana awarded to ChevronTexaco by the Venezuelan Ministry of Energy and Mines in February.
Under the terms of the agreement, ConocoPhillips acquires a 40 percent interest in the block, while ChevronTexaco remains majority partner with a 60 percent interest and will be the operator. PDVSA, the Venezuelan state-owned oil and gas company, retains the right to acquire up to 35 percent of the project at the time of declaration of commerciality.
The natural gas produced from the fields will be processed into liquefied natural gas (LNG) and subsequently exported to markets in the United States.
"This agreement combines the already considerable experience in Venezuela of two world-class companies," said George Kirkland, president of ChevronTexaco Overseas Petroleum. "This project is part of ChevronTexaco's strategic plans to commercialize its existing natural gas resource base and enable the creation and development of new natural gas growth opportunities worldwide."
Both ChevronTexaco and ConocoPhillips participate in major projects in the Orinoco Belt. ChevronTexaco also operates the Boscan and LL-652 fields in western Venezuela, and ConocoPhillips is operator on behalf of its partners in the Gulf of Paria West block.
"ConocoPhillips was the logical choice for us as partner in Block 2. Their existing reserves in the vicinity, extensive LNG experience worldwide and the strong position of both companies in the U.S. natural gas market make us a very powerful team," said Ali Moshiri, managing director of ChevronTexaco Upstream Latin America."
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- For ConocoPhillips, Harvey A Test Of Remote Operations (Sep 07)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's Deteriorating Oil Quality Riles Major Refiners (Oct 20)
- Venezuela Confirms Discussing Citgo Collateral Swap With Rosneft (Oct 04)
- Venezuelans Face Growing Queues To Buy Gasoline (Sep 21)