BP, Sonangol Strike Oil in Angola's Ultra-Deepwater Block 31
Sociedade Nacional de Combustiveis de Angola (Sonangol) and BP Exploration (Angola) Limited have announced the Dione oil discovery in ultra-deepwater Block 31, offshore Angola.
This is the sixteenth discovery made by BP in Block 31 and is located in the southern portion of the block, about 9 kilometers to the southwest of the Juno-1 discovery.
Dione was drilled in a water depth of 1696 meters, some 390 kilometers northwest of Luanda and reached a total depth of 3272 meters below sea level. The well was spudded in April 2008 and drilled by the Transocean's GSF Explorer drillship.
The well test results confirmed the capacity of the reservoir to flow in excess of 5,000 barrels a day under production conditions.
Sonangol is the concessionaire of Block 31 and owns 20% equity. BP Exploration (Angola) Limited as operator holds 26.67%. The other interest owners in Block 31 are Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Block 31) Limited (25%); Statoil Angola A.S. a subsidiary of StatoilHydro ASA (13.33%); Marathon International Petroleum Angola Block 31 Limited (10%); and TEPA (BLOCK 31) Limited, a subsidiary of the Total Group (5%).
BP has interests in four Angolan blocks with operated interests in two and has a 13.6% interest in the Angola LNG project.
Operatorship of Block 31 was awarded to BP Exploration (Angola) Limited in May 1999. The Block covers an area of 5,349 square kilometers and lies in water depths of between 1,500 and 2,500 meters.
BP also has operated interests (BP 50% equity) in Block 18 where Greater Plutonio started production on October 1, 2007.
BP has non-operated interests in Block 15, operated by Esso Exploration Angola (Block 15) Limited (BP 26.67% equity) and in Block 17 operated by Total (BP 16.67% equity).
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)