OMV Wins Six Libyan Exploration Licenses
OMV and Repsol YPF have signed an agreement with National Oil Corporation of Libya (NOC) in Tripoli for the exploration of six blocks located both on- and offshore Libya. Activities will be operated by Repsol YPF (60% interest), with OMV holding the remaining 40% interest.
The blocks (also referred to as Exploration Package 1) have been put up for international bidding following the Zawia Oil Investment Conference in 2000. Exploration Package 1 covers a total area of 76,700 sq km and includes M1 (Murzuk Basin), S36 (Sirte Basin), K1 and K3 (Kufra Basin) and O9 and O10 (offshore).
OMV and Repsol YPF have committed to the drilling of 12 exploration wells and the acquisition of 6,500 km of seismic lines over a six-year exploration period. The exploration costs are scheduled to amount to approximately US $90 million (100%).
Helmut Langanger, Member of the Executive Board of OMV with responsibility for Exploration and Production, said: "This is indeed a major step forward in expanding our successful upstream activities in Libya. The acquisition of this highly attractive exploration acreage will further strengthen OMV's position in Libya, which constitutes OMV's most important international E&P core area."
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)