KazMunayGas, ConocoPhillips & Mubadala to Develop Kazakhstan Block
JSC National Company KazMunayGas (KMG), ConocoPhillips and Mubadala Development Company PJSC (Mubadala) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to negotiate terms for the exploration and development of the "N" Block, located in offshore Kazakhstan, under a new subsoil use contract.
The parties will now have until Dec. 31, 2008 to negotiate the definitive agreements for the assignment by KMG of a 49% interest in the subsoil use contract to be shared equally between ConocoPhillips and Mubadala. KMG will remain the majority partner in the venture.
"KazMunayGas looks forward to a speedy conclusion to the negotiation and a successful, long-term relationship with both ConocoPhillips and Mubadala. Cooperation with these companies would allow for the attraction of new technologies relating to the exploration and production of oil and gas on the Caspian shelf," said Kairgeldy Kabyldin, President, KazMunayGas.
"ConocoPhillips looks forward to establishing a major new exploration presence in Kazakhstan, building on our long-standing participation in the oil and gas sector here, and will be honored to participate with KazMunayGas and Mubadala in this world-class exploration project," added Jim Mulva, Chairman and CEO, ConocoPhillips.
"Mubadala is an active developer in the international energy sector, with a growing portfolio of first-class assets in the upstream oil and gas sector, and this MOU marks another significant step forward for us," said Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak, CEO and Managing Director, Mubadala Development Company. "We are excited by the potential of this block and the opportunity it provides for us to bring our experience to bear, working together with trusted organizations like KazMunayGas and ConocoPhillips."
The "N" Block is located 30 kilometers south-southwest offshore Aktau, Kazakhstan in the Caspian Sea. The Block covers approximately 8,100 square kilometers and is considered highly prospective for both oil and gas.
The MOU was signed by Kabyldin, Mulva and Al Mubarak and was witnessed by His Excellency Sayat Mynbayev, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- For ConocoPhillips, Harvey A Test Of Remote Operations (Sep 07)
Company: Mubadala Development more info
- Mubadala To Hold Abu Dhabi's 2% Stake In BP (Dec 19)
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Abu Dhabi Plans Merger Of Sovereign Funds Mubadala And IPIC (Jun 29)
Company: KazMunayGas more info
- Kazakh Energy Officials Fired Over Gasoline Shortages (Oct 10)
- Keppel Kazakhstan Tie-Up Wins $242M Jackup Rig Deal (Jul 11)
- Eni Inks E&P Cooperation Agreement with KazMunayGas (Nov 06)