North Caspian Sea Partners Block Sinopec
BG Group says that five of the six partners in the Republic of Kazakhstan's North Caspian Sea Production Sharing Agreement (NCPSA) have exercised their pre-emptive rights in the sale of BG International's 1/6th interest in the project.
Agip, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch/Shell, Total and ConocoPhillips have exercised their NCPSA pre-emptive rights under the Joint Operating Agreement, while Inpex – the sixth continuing partner – has decided not, preferring to keep its share unchanged.
As previously announced, BG had entered into two separate transactions, each for the sale of half of its 1/6th interest and for a consideration of $615 million (ie $1.23 billion in aggregate) with CNOOC and Sinopec on March 7, 2003 and March 11, 2003, respectively.
The NCPSA area, all of which is offshore in the Republic's sector of the Caspian Sea, includes the giant Kashagan field and the recently discovered Kalamkas field. It also contains the Kairan and Aktote prospects.
As with the original transactions, the pre-emption transactions will be subject to the approval of the Kazakhstan government.
Upon completion of the pre-emption transactions, the participating interests of the partners will be: Agip Caspian Sea B.V., ExxonMobil Kazakhstan Inc, Shell Kazakhstan Development B.V., and TotalFinaElf E&P Kazakhstan – 11/54ths (20.37%); Phillips Petroleum Kazakhstan, Ltd – 11/108ths (10.19%); Inpex – 1/12ths (8.33%).
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: Agip more info
- Niger Delta Avengers Attack Escravos Terminal (May 26)
- CAMAC Ups West African Interests (Dec 30)
- Saipem Wins Jack/St. Malo, Kashagan Contracts (Dec 16)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Inpex Halts Construction At Australian LNG Site After Worker Dies (Nov 30)
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)