StatoilHydro Makes Unconfirmed Gas Find at Njord Field
StatoilHydro has announced that the drilling of an exploration well in the Noatun prospect 16 kilometers north of the Njord field in the Norwegian Sea has struck gas and condensate.
A sidetrack is to be drilled in the well to assess whether the find is worth exploiting.
The objective of exploration well 6407/7-8 was to prove gas/condensate in the middle/lower Jurassic reservoirs in the Noatun prospect. The well struck gas/condensates at the prospective Jurassic range, although the size of the find is as yet unconfirmed.
The well has been formation tested using mini-DST, and extensive data and samples have been collected. A flank sidetrack will be drilled to confirm gas/water contact and the size of the find.
"We are delighted to have found hydrocarbons which can contribute to the extended lifetime of the Njord field, but we need more information before we can say anything about the size of the find, and any possible extraction methods," said Sivert Jorgenvag, exploration manager for the Halten Bank.
This is the eighth exploration well drilled in production license 107. The license was awarded during the ninth concession round in 1985. The well was drilled to a vertical depth of 5,110 meters under the sea surface, and terminated at the Are formation in the lower Jurassic level. Sea depth is 293 meters. The well will be permanently plugged and abandoned.
The well was drilled by the semisubmersible drilling rig West Alpha, which will now continue operations in production license 107 by drilling sidetrack 6407/7-8A.
Licensees for production license 107 are: StatoilHydro (20%), E.ON Ruhrgas (30%), ExxonMobil (20%), Gaz de France (20%), Petoro (7.5%) and Endeavour Energy (2.5%).
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Gaz de France more info
- Grenland Group Delivers Gjoa Subsea Structures (Sep 01)
- Plexus to Supply Wellhead Systems for Mediterranean E&P Activities (Jul 20)
- ELNG Completes First Ever Health & Safety Partnership Program with GE O&G (Jul 15)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: E.ON more info
- Polish Antimonopoly Office Says Nord Stream 2 Threatens Competition (Jul 22)
- Premier Oil's Shares Remain Suspended amid Proposed E.ON Deal (Jan 14)
- Premier Oil to Acquire EON's UK North Sea Assets (Jan 13)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
- Seadrill Warns Again Of Chapter 11 As Extends $14B Debt Talks (Jul 26)
Company: Endeavor Energy Corp. more info
- StatoilHydro Makes Unconfirmed Gas Find at Njord Field (Sep 12)
- Endeavor Mourns Loss of Esteemed Company Director (Aug 25)
- Endeavour Withdraws Proposed Offer for Ithaca (Jul 08)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)