Peru Govt. Auctions Off 17 New Oil, Gas Lots
LIMA (Dow Jones Newswires), September 10, 2008
Peru's government has auctioned off 17 new oil and gas blocks, part of its push to explore for new hydrocarbon resources both on and offshore.
Peru's state oil company PetroPeru SA won six concessions -- four offshore and two onshore -- forming ventures with companies from three continents to return to hydrocarbon exploration after nearly two decades.
PetroPeru has teamed up with Argentina's Pluspetrol SA, India's Reliance Industries Ltd., and China National Petroleum Corp., or CNPC, to explore for gas in Block 155 in the southern highland department of Puno, near the Bolivian border.
The Company has also formed a consortium with Norway's Discover Petroleum to explore in four offshore blocks and one in Peru's jungle.
On the sidelines of a ceremony announcing the auction's winners, Daniel Saba, Chairman of Perupetro, the state oil and gas concession licensing agency, told Dow Jones Newswires that more contracts could be awarded by the end of the year.
The agency originally offered 22 oil and gas lots, but received bids for only 17.
He said that Petroperu is evaluating one-on-one deals with some companies for the remaining lots, and that another auction won't be called until the government finishes evaluating any new offers.
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Government: Bids on Peru's Biggest Oil Block to Start in April (Mar 06)
- Pluspetrol Interested in Bidding on Peru's Biggest Oil Block (Feb 11)
- Argentina's Pluspetrol to Buy Apco Oil and Gas for $427 Million (Oct 03)
Company: CNPC more info
- China's CNPC Starts Third Natural Gas Pipeline To Shanghai (Oct 13)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
- CNPC, Guangdong Sign Strategic Deal On S. China Sea Methane Hydrate (Aug 28)
Company: Petroperu more info
- Peru Crude Oil Pipeline Resumes Operation After Year Of Spills (Sep 26)
- Peru To Issue Up To $3B In Bonds To Finance State-Run Oil Firm (Apr 18)
- Peru Detects Fresh Oil Spill From Decades-Old Amazon Pipeline (Aug 11)
Company: Discover Petroleum AS more info
- AGR Secures Major North Sea Drilling Campaign (Apr 26)
- Discover Petroleum, Norut Launch Joint Research Project (Oct 27)
- Peru Suspends Oil Contracts, Fires Official In Scandal (Oct 06)