Faroe Farms-in to UK Block 22/11b, Drilling Program Underway
Faroe Petroleum has agreed to farm-in for a 10% interest in UK Block 22/11b from Bow Valley Petroleum (UK) Limited by participating in the drilling of well 22/11b-13. Block 22/11b, awarded to Bow Valley in 2007, in the 24th UK Licensing Round, contains the significant Fulmar prospect, which offers a good fit with Faroe's strategy to participate in high impact exploration wells in prolific areas. Drilling commenced on August 19, 2008.
- Significant exploration well - drilling under way.
- Close proximity and similar geology to several Fulmar reservoir discoveries.
- Shallow water and close to infrastructure.
The 22/11b-13 well will target an Upper Jurassic Fulmar sand prospect, a play which has been recognized on the flanks of the Central Graben, where good quality sands have been deposited after erosion from the neighboring high areas. The prospect lies in close proximity and on trend with a number of discoveries with good quality Fulmar reservoir, including the Wood (Block 22/18), Howe (Block 22/12), Huntington (Block 22/14), and most recently Talisman's Cayley. Considerable further upside has also been identified on the license.
The well, located in 90 meters water depth, is being drilled in an area close to significant oil infrastructure, approximately 10 kilometers from the Nelson field and 18 kilometers from the Montrose field. The Transocean Prospect semisubmersible drilling rig will be employed under a drilling management arrangement with AGR.
Chief Executive Graham Stewart said, "This is an attractive prospect with significant resource potential and moderate risk, offering a good fit with Faroe's strategy of participating in a very active drilling program in its core areas of the North Sea, Norway and the Atlantic Margin.
"Faroe has commenced a significant, fully funded drilling campaign of over 20 wells in two years. In addition to Fulmar L, the Company is at present drilling simultaneously three further wells: the Topaz gas field appraisal well; the East Breagh exploration well and the Marsvin exploration well. The West Breagh appraisal well is
programmed to start drilling after East Breagh, later in September and three further wells are scheduled to be drilled later in the year in Norway: the Hyme and Grosso exploration wells and the South East Tor oil appraisal well. We look forward to updating the market on progress."
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
- Newcomer Borr Scoops Up Transocean Rigs For $1.4B As Dealmaking Heats Up (Mar 20)
Company: Bow Valley more info
- Dana Completes Acquisition of Bow Valley Energy (Apr 30)
- Shareholders OK Dana Petroleum's Acquisition of Bow Valley (Apr 09)
- Dana Petroleum Scoops Up Bow Valley, Additional North Sea Interests (Feb 16)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)