Total Lights Up Production from K5F Field Using Subsea 'Christmas Trees'
Total has announced the production of first gas from the K5F field, part of its gas development project in the K5a block of the Dutch Continental Shelf, located approximately 115 kilometers northwest of Den Helder on the Dutch Coast.
K5F will be the first project in the world to use all-electrically activated subsea equipment ("Christmas Trees") as opposed to hydraulically operated standard technology. This step change in subsea technology will bring increased system reliability and enhanced environmental performance.
Furthermore it will add to Total's capability of bringing new production from deepwater fields, including frontier areas of the North Sea where Total continues its strategy of investment in exploration and production.
Total is the Operator of the K5F field, with its partners E.B.N, Dyas B.V., Goal Petroleum (Netherlands) B.V. and Lundin Netherlands B.V.
Production began on September 6, 2008, and the field is currently producing approximately 45 million standard cubic feet of gas per day. Production is expected to ramp up to 90 million standard cubic feet of gas per day in the coming months.
The development phase included the completion of two subsea wells, and the installation of a 10 kilometer long, 20 cm diameter subsea pipeline which is connected to the existing K6N satellite platform. After treatment, the gas is transported onshore to Uithuizen (Groningen) through the NoordGasTransport pipeline. The K5F development, together with the recent Goal acquisition strengthens the position of Total E&P Nederland B.V. as a major player in the Dutch gas exploration and production industry.
Total Exploration and Production in the Netherlands Total E&P Nederland B.V. has been involved in the exploration and production of natural gas in the Netherlands and the North Sea Continental Shelf since 1964. Its operated production is about 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, while its own production share amounts to 44,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
- Swedish Oil Firm Lundin Sees Output More Than Doubling Next Decade (Feb 01)
Company: Dyas BV more info
- Ithaca Says Stella Production Facility Undergoing Sea Trials (Jul 22)
- Lundin Finds Gas at Maligan Prospect Offshore East Malaysia (Mar 03)
- Lundin Farms Out Stakes in 3 PSCs Offshore Malaysia to DYAS (Feb 02)
Company: Total E & P Ltd more info
- Petrofac Secures 3-Year North Sea Services Contract Extension (May 19)
- NPD Grants Tullow, Total Drilling Permits Offshore Norway (May 18)
- Total, Wintershall Drill Dry Wells Offshore Norway (Mar 02)