Total Tests Positive Gas at West Franklin B in UK North Sea
Total has announced a significant increase in the potential of the West Franklin field in the Central Graben Area of the UK North Sea, following the drilling of the West Franklin B appraisal well by the jackup Rowan Gorilla V.
The West Franklin field is located in Blocks 29/5b and 29/4d, approximately 240 kilometers east of Aberdeen and 4 kilometers west of the Franklin wellhead platform, from where it was drilled. Total is the Operator (35.784%) and is now considering options for the next phases of development of the field, all of which will maximize synergies with existing Elgin Franklin facilities.
West Franklin, which exports via Total's Elgin/Franklin installations, was discovered in 2003 and brought into production in 2007. It is the deepest high pressure/high temperature (HP/HT) development to date in the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS).
The West Franklin well encountered a very good quality Upper Jurassic reservoir and was tested with a rate of 985,000 standard cubic meters per day (m3/d) of gas and 314 standard m3/d of condensates on a 26/64" choke. It is currently producing at a rate of 2.6 million standard m3/d.
West Franklin is currently producing 20,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, and is expected to produce 45,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. Ultimate resources have been significantly increased and are now estimated at close to 200 million barrels of oil equivalent with additional drilling.
Following on from the recent success of the Jura development and the Islay discovery, West Franklin B will help to further extend the productive life of the UK North Sea and cement Total's presence on the UKCS.
The Franklin gas field was discovered in 1986. Five years later, Total discovered a second high-pressure/high-temperature field, Elgin, six kilometers away. Their nearness to one another made joint development of their reserves a possibility, so in 1995 the project partners reached agreement on a development plan comprising two wellhead platforms -- one on each field -- tied into a shared processing and export platform.
Total operates the Elgin/Franklin fields and the West Franklin field on behalf of partners Elgin Franklin Oil & gas (Total E&P UK Ltd, 35.784%; GDF SUEZ, 10.389%), Eni UK Limited, BG Group, Eon Ruhrgas UK North Sea Ltd, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Dyas and Oranje-Nassau.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: E.ON more info
- Polish Antimonopoly Office Says Nord Stream 2 Threatens Competition (Jul 22)
- Premier Oil's Shares Remain Suspended amid Proposed E.ON Deal (Jan 14)
- Premier Oil to Acquire EON's UK North Sea Assets (Jan 13)
Company: Oranje-Nassau more info
- Total Tests Positive Gas at West Franklin B in UK North Sea (Sep 09)
- Devon Sells Gabon Assets for $205.5 Million (Nov 13)
- Seven New Companies on the Norwegian Shelf in 2004 (Dec 22)
Company: Dyas BV more info
- Ithaca Says Stella Production Facility Undergoing Sea Trials (Jul 22)
- Lundin Finds Gas at Maligan Prospect Offshore East Malaysia (Mar 03)
- Lundin Farms Out Stakes in 3 PSCs Offshore Malaysia to DYAS (Feb 02)