DONG Starts Drilling at Marsvin Prospect Offshore Norway
Faroe Petroleum has announced that drilling has commenced on the Norwegian License PL289, well 3/7-7 (Faroe 14%), which holds the significant Marsvin oil prospect.
The License is located in water depths of around 65 meters in southern Norwegian waters on the border with Denmark and in close proximity to Norwegian License PL147 which contains the Trym gas/condensate field (Faroe 10%), which is progressing towards near term development. The Marsvin target is a substantial Upper Jurassic oil prospect, located on the south west flank of the Sogne Graben, straddling the border between Norway and Denmark. The Joint Venture Partners in this Norwegian license are DONG (40% and operator),
Talisman (30%) and GDF Suez (16% interest).
The drilling operation, using the Maersk Guardian jackup rig, is expected to take around 80 days.
Graham Stewart, Chief Executive of Faroe Petroleum, commented, "Marsvin is a further exciting prospect with significant resource potential, which brings to three the number of North Sea wells we are currently drilling. In addition to Marsvin we are currently drilling the Topaz gas field appraisal well and the East Breagh exploration
well, both in the UK southern North Sea.
"The West Breagh appraisal well is programmed to start drilling in mid September and three further wells are scheduled to be drilled later in the year in Norway: the Hyme exploration well; the South East Tor oil appraisal
well; and the Grosso exploration well. We look forward to updating the market as we progress with our fully funded, drilling program of over 20 wells which has excellent potential to add significant shareholder value."
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: Maersk Drilling more info
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)