StatoilHydro Sees Gas at Wilcat Well, Too Soon to Confirm Commerciality
StatoilHydro Petroleum AS, as Operator of exploration license 394, has completed drilling of exploration well 7224/6-1 in the Barents Sea.
The well was tested in a prospect called Arenaria in block 7224/6. The primary goal was to prove hydrocarbons in sandstone of early Jurassic to late Triassic age. The secondary goal was to prove hydrocarbons in rocks of the middle Triassic age.
In the primary exploration target, rocks of good reservoir quality were found in accordance with the prognoses. No hydrocarbons were proven.
In the secondary drilling target, gas was proven in reservoir rocks of poor quality.
"The well was not formation tested and it is too early to tell if the gas can be produced," said Bente Fotland, Exploration Manager for licenses in the far north.
This is the first well to be drilled in exploration license 394 which was awarded in the 19th license round in 2006. The well was an obligation well. It was drilled to a vertical depth of 2315 meters below sea level and was completed in rocks of middle Triassic age. The well is now being permanently plugged and abandoned.
Drilling of exploration well 7224/6-1 was completed by the Polar Pioneer semisubmersible at a water depth of 265 meters. Polar Pioneer will now start drilling exploration well 7222/11-1 in the StatoilHydro-operated exploration license 228.
The licensees in exploration license 394 are:
- StatoilHydro (65%)
- Gaz de France Norge AS (20%)
- Petoro (15%)
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Gaz de France more info
- Grenland Group Delivers Gjoa Subsea Structures (Sep 01)
- Plexus to Supply Wellhead Systems for Mediterranean E&P Activities (Jul 20)
- ELNG Completes First Ever Health & Safety Partnership Program with GE O&G (Jul 15)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)