Maersk Honors New Jackup, Convincer to Work for Brunei Shell
Maersk Contractors has named its latest newbuilding drilling rig from Jurong Shipyard Pte Ltd.
Beth Allen, accompanied by her husband, William S. Allen, Senior Vice President, A.P. Moller -- Maersk, honored Maersk Contractors and the yard by naming the rig MAERSK CONVINCER at a ceremony at the yard on August 18, 2008.
The delivery of the MAERSK CONVINCER will cement Maersk Contractors’ position as a drilling contractor on the forefront of the market within high-performance drilling," said Claus V. Hemmingsen. "Our fleet’s average rig-age of 9 years is amongst the lowest in the industry."
The rig is the second of two identical jackup rigs acquired by the A. P. Moller -- Maersk Group in July 2006. The rig is capable of operating in water depths up to 375 feet in most parts of the world including the harsh environment of the central and southern parts of the North Sea.
The new rig is of the Baker Marine Pacific Class 375 design and distances itself from conventional jackups in several areas, not least on the drill floor where the highly mechanised equipment leads to increased safety of the crew. The sophisticated drilling equipment will also make the rigs well qualified for drilling deep and difficult wells, including high temperature/high pressure wells.
The first assignment for the MAERSK CONVINCER is a one-year drilling contract with an option to extend the contract by two times one year, with Brunei Shell Petroleum offshore Brunei.
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)
Company: Brunei Shell Petroleum more info
- McDermott Secures Brunei's Offshore T&I Contract (Jun 21)
- McDermott Bags Offshore Pipeline Deal for Brunei's Champion, Ampa Fields (Nov 12)
- KCA Deutag Bags Contract to Construct, Operate Land Rig in Brunei for BSP (Jun 23)