Eni Approved for Kitan Oil Field Development
The Timor Sea Designated Authority approved the development area for the Kitan oil field following Eni's declaration of commercial discovery. The Kitan discovery is located in the permit 06-105 of the Joint Petroleum Development Area, an area jointly administered by Timor-Leste and Australia and situated approximately 170 km off the Timor-Leste coast and 500 km off the Australian coast.
Kitan has recently been discovered by the successful exploration activity performed by Eni through the well Kitan-1. Following the discovery, Eni also drilled the well Kitan-2 which was completed on March 30, 2008 and confirmed the presence of a potentially commercial oil accumulation.
Eni will now progress the preparation of a Development Plan to the TSDA that will be delivered within 12 months of this approval.
Eni is the operator, holding 40% in the permit JPDA 06-105, with Inpex holding 35% and Talisman Resources Pty Limited holding 25% as joint venture partners.
This discovery reinforces Eni's presence and growth potential in the region.
Eni has been operating in Australia since 2000 and in Timor-Leste since 2006.
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
- Australia's $180B LNG Megaproject Boom Enters Final Stretch (Aug 14)