Venezuela Seeking Foreign Partners in New Discoveries
Minister of Energy and Mines Rafael Ramirez told state news agency Venpres oil majors including ExxonMobil, Shell, TotalFinaElf and Statoil had expressed interest in developing several new oil fields discovered by PDVSA. The government has described the discoveries, including the western Tomoporo field and unnamed fields in the east, as significant finds.
"In Tomoporo, there are important concentrations of medium crude which can produce around 1.5 billion barrels," Ramirez told the news agency.
Venezuela is interested in attracting foreign investors to develop these new oil fields.
The government says output has been returned to pre-strike levels after it fired more than 16,000 PDVSA employees for participating in the stoppage. Oil analysts say cuts in PDVSA's exploration and production budget, due to losses accrued during the strike, as well as the loss of experienced personnel may hinder the company's ability to develop new oil fields.
Foreign companies have also been critical of a nationalistic hydrocarbons law passed by Chavez in 2001 that increased royalty payments and the minimum level of state participation in oil developments. They say the terms are not competitive with contracts offered by other countries and need to be amended.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)