Nexen Expands GOM Acreage
In the Eastern Gulf of Mexico where Nexen has interests in discoveries at Vicksburg and Shiloh, the company increased its acreage position on an unpromoted basis by acquiring working interests of 25% in 33 blocks recently awarded to Shell from the lease sale in late 2007. A number of additional exploration opportunities have been identified in the region and plans are in place to spud one of these opportunities, Fredricksburg, in the next few months. We have a 20% interest in Shiloh, a 25% interest in Vicksburg and a 20% interest in Fredricksburg, with Shell operating all three.
"We are excited about the Eastern Gulf of Mexico," stated Fischer. "When we combine discoveries at Vicksburg and Shiloh with the prospects we see on our land holdings, this area has the potential to become a significant part of our Gulf of Mexico business."
Elsewhere in the Gulf of Mexico, we sanctioned development of our Longhorn discovery during the quarter. Development will consist of three subsea wells tied-back to the non-operated Crystal facility. First production is expected in 2009 with a peak production rate of approximately 200 mmcf/d gross. We have a 25% non-operated working interest and Eni is the operator.
To date, we have not been able to find a rig with the capability of drilling a delineation well at Knotty Head. As a result, we plan to drill an appraisal well in mid 2009 when our first new deep-water drilling rig arrives. We have a 25% operated interest in the field.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)