BP Makes Discovery on Kodiak Prospect
BP America has made an oil discovery at its Kodiak prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. The well, located in Mississippi Canyon block 771 approximately 60 miles (95 kilometers) southeast of the Louisiana Coast, is in about 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) of water. The Kodiak well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 31,150 feet (9,494 meters) and encountered about 500 net feet (152 meters) of hydrocarbon-bearing sands in Middle and Lower Miocene reservoirs. The well was deviated with a horizontal step-out of 7,400 feet (2,250 meters). The well was drilled using Transocean's Deepwater Horizon semisub. Further appraisal will be required to determine the size and commerciality of the discovery.
This discovery, in the vicinity of our 2003 Tubular Bells discovery, further strengthens BP's resource base in the Gulf of Mexico and has the potential to become an important new source of production for the USA," said Andy Inglis, Chief Executive, Exploration and Production.
The well is operated by BP Exploration & Production Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of BP America Inc., with a 63.75 percent working interest, and includes co-owners Eni with a 25 percent working interest, and Marubeni Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. with an 11.25 percent working interest. The lease was acquired at federal OCS Lease Sale 182 in March 2002.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
- MODEC Secures Japanese Partners in Petrobras FPSO Project (Apr 14)