Unique Design Solution Wins DOF Contract for Aker Yards
Aker Yards has been awarded a contract with DOF ASA to build an innovative LNG-powered platform supply vessel. The vessel is designed and equipped with the newest and most innovative environmentally friendly equipment and solutions. After delivery from Aker Yards in Norway in 2010, the vessel will operate on charter for StatoilHydro ASA.
The selected solutions and engine systems for the new and modern platform supply vessel (PSV) are a response to the focus on more environmental cautious ship transportation of various bulk cargos, liquids and equipment to and from offshore locations worldwide.
The vessel will be equipped with duel fuel engines able to run on both LNG and ordinary marine diesel. By using environmentally friendly LNG propulsion, the engines can reduce NOx emissions by 85-90 percent in addition to significant reductions of CO2 emissions. The patent pending design solution is unique because the LNG tank does not reduce cargo capacity for the vessel, rather the new design has a higher cargo capacity than other vessels of the same size.
"This is an important order for Aker Yards. LNG is a technology in which we already have a strong track record. Today's order confirms our strong position in environmentally friendly propulsion. We are particularly proud that we won in contest with a number of other strong yards and designs," explains Roy Reite, President of Aker Yards, Offshore & Specialized Vessels.
"Aker Yards is a leading player in the global market for purpose-built offshore service vessels. The new contract with DOF ASA also highlights the strength of the innovative offshore designs of Aker Yards Project," says Reite.
The vessels have been designed by Aker Yards Project in Ålesund, Norway. The Aker PSV 06 LNG vessel will be built at Aker Yards in Norway. Delivery to DOF ASA is scheduled in the end of 2010.
- STX Europe Refinances Revolving Credit Facility (Nov 06)
- Aker Yards Swaps Name for STX to Focus on International Market (Nov 03)
- Wartsila to Supply Propulsion Equipment for 5 Offshore Vessels (Nov 03)
Company: DOF more info
- Norway's $24B Fund Seeing End To Losses In Oil Services (Aug 17)
- DOF Subsea Bags IRM Contract for Shell Australia's Prelude FLNG Facility (Aug 01)
- DOF Rederi Secures North Sea Services Contracts with Nexen, Maersk (Apr 12)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)