Anadarko Looks for Oil in Brazil's Pre-Salt Area
Anadarko will start oil exploration of Brazil's pre-salt area, reported Valor newspaper. The company plans to begin drilling in both the BM-C-30 block in the Campos Basin and the BM-ES-24 block in the Espirito Santo Basin.
Although extracting this oil may pose a technological feat, Brazil's Petrobras has predicted that the pre-salt area offshore Brazil harbors such a vast amount of oil reserves that the country could become a major oil exporter because of it. Waters in the area reach 2,000 meters, and the oil is located below 3,000 meters of rock and sand, as well as a 2,000-meter layer of salt.
Devon Oil Corp., EnCana Corp. and SK Energy Co. of South Korea are joint venture partners in the BM-C-30 block. Petrobras and EncCana hold interest in the BM-ES-24 block.
We want to hear from you. Questions, opinions and suggestions are all welcomed by the Rigzone Staff. Write us at email@example.com .
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Devon Energy more info
- Shale Drillers Show Few Signs of Slowing as Profits Expand (Aug 02)
- Devon Energy Trims Full-Year Spending (Aug 01)
- Devon Energy Plans To Divest $1B Assets; Profit Beats (May 02)
Company: EnCana more info
- Encana Calls End to Permian Race as Focus Turns to Output (Oct 18)
- Canada's Encana Smashes Profit Estimates, Shares Rise (Jul 21)
- Encana To Sell Natgas Assets To Caerus Oil For $735MM (Jun 09)
Company: SK Energy more info
- S. Korea's SK Energy Buys First US Crude Oil In Move Away From Middle East (Aug 08)
- Maersk Oil to Purchase Brazilian Assets for $2.4B (Dec 23)
- Gulf United Energy Appoints New Officers (Dec 22)