Wintershall Acquires Five New Exploration Licenses in Norway
In the latest licensing round, APA 2007, the Norwegian Energy Ministry awarded Wintershall Norge A.S. shares in five new exploration licenses. Of these, the BASF subsidiary was awarded two new licenses in the European Arctic Sea and three new licenses in the Norwegian North Sea. With a share of 40%, Wintershall will be the operator in license areas PL 472 (Maersk 35%, Bridge 25%) and PL 474 (Maersk 30%, Aker Exploration 30%) in the Norwegian Sea off the coast of Central Norway. Wintershall was also awarded shares in licenses PL 465 (Wintershall 40%, Nexen 60%), PL 462 S (Wintershall 30%, Nexen 40%, Aker Exploration 30%) and PL 461 (Wintershall 15%, Statoil Hydro 50%, Genesis 15%, Petoro 20%) in the Norwegian North Sea off the coast of Bergen.
"This successful allocation, which complied fully with our application, will help us make considerable progress in the implementation of our strategy in Norway," said Eckhard Oehms, head of Wintershall, which was formed at the end of 2005 to coordinate exploration and production activities in Norway. After seismic and geological work has been completed the first Wintershall-operated exploration wells should be operating by 2010.
The Norwegian Energy Ministry awarded Wintershall the qualification to work as an operator and licensee in Norway in 2004. Last year, with a majority shareholding in license PL 443, Wintershall commenced its operator activities in Norway. With operator-ships in three license areas and participation in a total of 12 licenses Wintershall has positioned itself as an active company in the E&P industry in Norway.
"Because of its proximity to the European market Norway is predestined to supply Europe with natural gas and, as a production location, fits very well into our 'Gas for Europe' strategy," says Wintershall Board Member Bernhard Schmidt, who is responsible for exploration and development. Norway is the fourth largest producer of natural gas in the world and one of the most important supply countries in the European Union.
Wintershall has been active in the North Sea since 1965 and now operates 26 platforms – 25 of these in Dutch territorial waters and one in German waters. Since summer 2006 Wintershall has acquired exploration rights to around 50 blocks and sub-blocks in the German, British, Norwegian, Danish and Dutch areas of the North Sea, which will be explored for new gas and oil deposits.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: Wintershall more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Libya's NOC, Wintershall Strike Interim Deal To Resume Output (Jun 13)
- BASF Sees Role of Oil and Gas Unit Declining Further (May 12)
- Norway Awards 56 Oil And Gas Licences In Mature Areas (Jan 17)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)
Company: Bridge North Sea more info
- Asha East Well Comes up Dry (Oct 17)
- Wintershall's Amol Well Comes up Dry (Sep 25)
- Spike Targets Bridge Energy (Sep 16)
Company: Aker Exploration AS more info
- Det norske to Revamp Plans for Froy (Apr 13)
- Det Norske to Participate in Dalsnuten Prospect (Feb 19)
- Det Norske Reviews 4Q Results, Sees Continued Growth (Feb 19)
Company: Genesis Norway more info
- Genesis Scoops Up Production License Offshore Norway (May 01)
- Wintershall Acquires Five New Exploration Licenses in Norway (Feb 18)
- Genesis Norway Awarded 3 Production Licenses Offshore Norway (Feb 11)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 29 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)