Transocean Award $351M Contract for GSF Explorer
Transocean Inc. reported the award of a 689-day contract by a consortium headed by Marathon International Petroleum Indonesia Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Marathon Oil Corporation, for the ultra-deepwater drillship GSF Explorer to drill a series of exploration wells in a deepwater province in Indonesia. The Makassar Strait Explorers Consortium (MSEC) comprises Marathon International Petroleum Indonesia Ltd, Anadarko Popodi Ltd, ConocoPhillips (Kuma) Ltd, ENI Bukat Ltd, Statoil Indonesia Karama AS and Talisman (Sageri) Ltd.
The 689-day contract is expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2009 following the completion of existing contractual commitments in Angola and mobilization to the Makassar Strait, a deepwater province receiving renewed interest as a result of recent leasing activity.
The estimated contract revenues which could be generated over the 689–day contract period are approximately $351 million. Estimated contract revenues represent the maximum amount of revenues that may be earned in the firm contract period, excluding revenues for mobilization and demobilization.
The GSF Explorer is one of 18 Ultra-Deepwater Floaters in the Transocean fleet. Constructed in 1972 and upgraded in 1998, the drillship is capable of working in water depths up to 7,800 feet.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)