Navios Becomes 'Significant Player' with Launch of SA Logistics Business

Navios Maritime Holdings Inc., a large, global, vertically integrated seaborne shipping company, announced that it has formed a South American logistics business through the combination of its existing port operations with the barge and upriver port businesses operated by the Horamar Group.

The transaction included a payment of $112.2 million in cash consideration. As a result of the transaction, Navios owns 63.8% of the combined entity, named Navios South American Logistics Inc. (NSALI), and the former Horamar Group stockholders own the remaining 36.2%.

Ms. Angeliki Frangou, Chairman and CEO of Navios and Chairman of NSALI, stated, "We are delighted to announce the formation of an end-to-end logistics business which leverages Navios' transshipment facility in Uruguay with an upriver port facility in Paraguay and dry and wet barge capacity. This transaction marks the successful conclusion of an effort we commenced in June 2006, when we announced that Navios intended to develop a South American logistics business. Since then, we have studied the market, met with key players and considered a number of opportunities. Today, we are pleased with the business partnership we have formed with the Lopez family, the principal shareholders of Horamar. We believe that by blending our businesses, we will develop the critical mass necessary for us to become a significant regional player."

Ms. Frangou continued: "Since we commenced our review, the underlying business fundamentals have continued to strengthen. We plan to grow the combined business by capitalizing on the region's growing agricultural and mineral commodity exports through the significant cost advantage river transport offers compared to alternatives along with our proprietary port and related infrastructure."

Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE


Most Popular Articles


From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Third Party Inspector - Air Compressors | NC | URGENT
Expertise: Client Representative|QA / QC / Inspection
Location: Mocksville, NC
 
Calbration Technician
Expertise: Certification Engineer|Instrumentation Technician|QA / QC / Inspection
Location: Houston, TX
 
Shop Foreman Assistant
Expertise: Maintenance Technician|Workshop
Location: Midland
 
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $52.72/BBL 3.31%
Light Crude Oil : $48.51/BBL 3.01%
Natural Gas : $2.89/MMBtu 1.36%
Updated in last 24 hours