Kupe Gas Wells Under Way Offshore Taranaki Basin, New Zealand
Origin Energy Limited reports that the 17-inch hole section of the Kupe South 6 (KS-6) well had reached the planned total depth of 2,000 meters MDRT (measured depth from rotary table). A wiper trip is currently under way to condition the hole prior to running and cementing the 13-3/8 inch casing.
Upon completion, the 17-inch hole sections of the KS-7 and KS-8 wells will be drilled and cased prior to commencement of the subsequent 12-1/4 inch sections.
Drilling began on Dec. 19 2007 and reached total depth on Jan. 2, 2008. The 22-inch top hole sections of all three development wells in permit PML 38146 have been completed to the following depths: KS-6,560 meters MDRT, KS-7,566 meters MDRT and KS-8,568 meters MDRT.
Each of the three production wells will be drilled by the ENSCO 107 jackup drilling rig to a vertical depth of approximately 3,400 meters.
The Kupe Project drilling campaign is being undertaken on a batch-drilling basis. This process involves completing the same section of each of the three wells before proceeding to the subsequent section and is a more efficient approach than drilling the wells separately.
Origin Energy Resources is the operator of the gas project with 50% working interest. Participants in the project are wholly owned subsidiaries of Genesis Energy with 31%, New Zealand Oil & Gas Limited (through its subsidiaries: National Petroleum Ltd. 12.75%, Petroleum Equities Ltd. 1.25% and Nephrite Enterprises Ltd. 1.00%) with 15%, and Mitsui E&P Australia Pty Ltd with 4% interest.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Genesis Energy more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- Genesis Buys Enterprise Offshore Pipelines for $1.5 Billion (Jul 16)