Petrobras Makes Another Oil Discovery in Santos Basin's Pre-Salt Layer

Petrobras and its partner Galp Energia have made another deepwater oil discovery offshore Brazil. The well, 1-BRSA-526-SPS (1-SPS-51), has proven there is a light oil field in the pre-salt layer in the Santos Basin. The well was drilled by Diamond Offshore's drillship, Ocean Clipper. The initial well, located 280 kilometers off Sao Paulo in 2,234 meters of water was drilled to a depth of 5,350 meters. The well has not been tested yet due to operating and logistics reasons.

The partners will take the necessary steps required to delineate the field and verify the reservoir's characteristics. A Discovery Evaluation Plan it will be sent to the NPA.

Petrobras holds an 80% stake in the well and Galp Energia holds the remaining 20%.

Related Companies
For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
United States Sonora: Operator, Plant-Multi-Chem, I
Expertise: Geoscience Technician
Location: Sonora, TX
United States Sonora: Operator, Plant-Multi-Chem, I
Expertise: Geochemist
Location: Sonora, TX
Senior Client / Program Manager
Expertise: Geologist|Reservoir Engineering
Location: Seattle, WA
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.47/BBL 0.98%
Light Crude Oil : $49.72/BBL 1.09%
Natural Gas : $2.76/MMBtu 1.09%
Updated in last 24 hours