Petrobras Reports Drillship Fire; Seven Injured
Petrobras reports that at 22:40 hours on November 28th a gas leak occurred during well re-entry operations while the drillship, Noble Roger Eason, was working on the Marlim Leste field. The Marlim Leste field is located in the Campos Basin approximately 120 kilometers off the coast of Brazil. Seven people on board the rig were injured in the fire, however, none of the injuries are life threatening. First aid for the victims was provided by the doctor on board the rig. The injured have been airlifted to hospitals in Rio de Janeiro and Macae.
As soon as the fire began, Petrobras' emergency plan was implemented and then fire was extinguished. Investigators have been dispatched to the rig to carry out environmental and safety inspections. The well is in stable condition at this time. The National Petroleum Agency (ANP) and the Brazilian Port Authority have been notified of the incident.
Petrobras along with Noble Drilling have set up a commission to investigate the cause of the incident and provide assistance to the families of the victims.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Noble Corporation more info
Manages 28 Offshore Rigs
- Sembcorp Marine Delivers World's Largest Jackup Noble Lloyd Noble (Jul 18)
- Oil Industry Maintains Country Club Culture During Downturn (May 23)
- Freeport to Pay Noble $540 Million to Not Use 2 Oil Rigs (May 10)