ExxonMobil Moves Families from Nigeria Oil Terminal

LONDON Nov 13, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)

U.S. oil major Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) Tuesday evacuated the families of staff from the 400,000 barrels-a-day Qua Iboe oil terminal in Nigeria following an armed attack the previous day, Reuters reported.

"After all that shooting yesterday, we have relocated dependents where they feel more comfortable for a short time," said ExxonMobil spokeswoman Gloria Essien, according to Reuters.

Militants attacked troops guarding the Qua Iboe terminal in a gunfight for several hours on Monday but oil production wasn't affected.

"We are on essential services. Production was not impacted by the incident," she said.

According to ExxonMobil's Web site, production from Qua Iboe currently averages 400,000 barrels a day.

ExxonMobil, as field operator, holds 40% interest in the field while the Nigerian state-owned oil company holds the remaining 60% interest.

Neither ExxonMobil nor the Nigerian state-owned oil company were available to comment.

Qua Iboe crude oil is produced from numerous offshore fields in the Bight of Biafra in southeastern Nigeria, east of the Oso field. The crude, from fields, 20 to 40 miles offshore from Nigeria's South Eastern region, are brought to shore via a seabed pipeline system to the Qua Iboe terminal.

Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE


Most Popular Articles


From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Provisioning/Supply Analyst
Expertise: Inventory Control|Purchasing
Location: Hanover, MD
 
Executive Protection Coordinator
Expertise: Risk Management|Security
Location: TX
 
Supply Chain Supervisor - Delaware Basin Supply Chain
Expertise: Supply Chain Management
Location: Midland, TX
 
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.56/BBL 0.15%
Light Crude Oil : $47.7/BBL 0.70%
Natural Gas : $3.05/MMBtu 1.32%
Updated in last 24 hours