Halliburton Optimization Technology Aids Oseberg Development
Sperry Drilling Services, a brand of Halliburton's Drilling and Evaluation Division, used its new InSite ADR Azimuthal Deep Resistivity Sensor to assist Norsk Hydro ASA in the optimization of well placement on its Oseberg Field development project in the North Sea.
Hydro's challenge was to drill in a thin, heterogeneous reservoir setting. The InSite ADR sensor helped Hydro to steer the well through the most productive part of the reservoir while maintaining a desired distance away from the adjacent formations, thus ensuring maximum production from the well.
Rolf Smedal, Hydro Geology & Geophysics team leader, said: "The InSite ADR sensor certainly helped us to make better geosteering decisions, resulting in improved well placement. We were able to maximize productive sand intervals and avoid potentially unstable formations.
"Nowadays," Smedal continued, "most easy spots have already been drilled, but there is a huge potential for similar challenging reservoirs. Hydro has planned numerous wells to target such reserves and I see azimuthal resistivity technology as an important breakthrough that will help us to succeed with future well programs."
Sperry's geosteering specialists collaborated with Hydro's drilling and geology & geophysics (G&G) team to interpret sensor data and to make recommendations for real-time course corrections. "The InSite ADR sensor is part of Sperry's new InSite™ Generation logging-while-drilling sensors," said Brady Murphy, vice president of Sperry Drilling Services. "It detects approaching beds, up to 18 feet from the wellbore, and enables new understanding of formations not possible with legacy systems."
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
- Halliburton CEO Defends Fracking Business as Margins Disappoint (Oct 23)
- Venezuela's IOUs Pile Up, Keeping US Oil Servicers in Tow (Aug 23)
Company: Norsk Hydro ASA more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Sperry Drilling Services more info
- ConocoPhillips Taps Halliburton for Bohai Bay Services (Feb 16)
- Sperry, Total to Jointly Develop Ultra-High-Temp Measurement System (Aug 26)
- Halliburton Optimization Technology Aids Oseberg Development (Nov 13)