AFG Signs LOI with Heerema to Decommission 9 Platforms
AF Gruppen has signed a letter of intent with Heerema Marine Contractors regarding the decommissioning of nine platforms with an option for a further four from the Ekofisk-field for ConocoPhilips. This is AF's biggest contract ever. The contract value including options is MNOK 1 200.
AF Decom, part of AF's environmental business, will carry out the project. Preliminary work will start immediately, while decommissioning of the platforms will start in 2009. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2014. The project includes preliminary work offshore, decommissioning and recycling of a total of 140,000-ton steel constructions at AF Decom's decommissioning plant at Vats outside Haugesund.
"We are proud to be part of the largest decommissioning project in the North Sea, said Pal Egil Ronn, CEO of AF Gruppen. "The agreement strengthens our strategic targeting of environmental services and is an important recognition of our competence in dismantling and recycling of offshore steel constructions. The contract forms the basis for further growth in our environmental business offshore."
This is the third decommissioning work AF will carry out offshore. AF was pre-qualified for offshore work in 2002 based on the methods the company uses for onshore demolition of industrial facilities.
The company entered into a contract with ConocoPhilips in 2004 regarding the dismantling of the steel construction on Ekofisk 2/4T. Work was completed in May 2007, six months ahead of schedule and within budget. The recycling rate was 98%.
AF and Heerema cooperate in the decommissioning and recycling of bridges, tripods, flame stack and modules on Ekofisk for ConocoPhilips.
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: AF Gruppen more info
- New UK Deepwater Decommissioning Base in the Works (Feb 25)
- AFG Inks Decommissioning Deal with Shell for 6 Offshore Platforms (Feb 02)
- AF Gruppen Inks Contract for Largest Decommissioning Project in the N. Sea (Jun 18)
Company: Heerema Marine Contractors more info
- Sembcorp Marine Taps GE Technology for World's Largest Semisub Crane Vessel (Jul 14)
- IEV Mobilizes for T&I Work on Shell's Malikai TLP Offshore Sabah (May 17)
- Heerema Completes Infield Flowlines Scope for Ichthys LNG Project Off WA (Feb 24)