Talks Restart for Canada's C$5B Hebron Oilfield Project
OTTAWA, (Dow Jones Newswires), Aug 10, 2007 (Dow Jones Commodities News)
Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams confirmed Thursday that formal talks have restarted for the proposed offshore Hebron oilfield, Canadian media reported Friday.
Williams left early from the premiers' conference currently underway in New Brunswick for negotiations with the companies behind the C$5 billion development, the reports said.
Negotiations stalled last year after Williams insisted on a 4.9% equity stake in the project, along with a higher royalty rate for the province. The consortium had been seeking tax breaks, and in April 2006, Hebron operator Chevron Canada Ltd. disbanded its project team.
Two months ago, the premier said exploratory talks between his provincial government and the consortium had resumed, but reiterated his equity and royalty rate demands, according to the reports.
Hebron would be Newfoundland's fourth offshore development, after Hibernia, Terra Nova and White Rose, and some estimates reckon it could produce more revenue than the current three combined.
Chevron Corp.'s (CVX) Canadian arm is the project leader with a 28% share, ExxonMobil Corp.'s (XOM) Canadian unit has the majority stake of 37.9%, and Petro-Canada (PCZ) holds 23.9%. Norsk Hydro ASA (NHY) held the remaining interest, which will transfer to Statoil ASA (STO) following the merger of the two companies' oil businesses later this year.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
Company: Petro-Canada more info
- C-NLOPB Approves Hebron Application (May 31)
- Petro-Canada to Fire Up Syrian Gas Production Soon (Apr 06)
- Faroe: Possible Hydrocarbons Found in North Sea Well (Mar 23)