Aabar Increases Position Offshore Southern Vietnam

Aabar Petroleum's subsidiary, PearlOil (Ophiolite) Limited, has entered into a binding agreement to acquire a 15% working interest from Vietnam American Exploration Company in the production sharing contract for Block 07 & 08/97, offshore southern Vietnam. The agreement is subject to government approval.

Block 07 & 08/97 covers an area of 4,915 square kilometers and is located at the southern margin of the Nam Con Son Basin. It lies on a trend of oil and gas discoveries including BP's producing gas fields at Lan Tay and Lan Do. The block is adjacent to the Aabar-operated Block 06/94 signed earlier this year.

The area has been little explored in recent years due to the moratorium related to the territory boundary line between Vietnam and Indonesia, which was resolved in 2003.

On government approval for a previous farm-out agreement, VAMEX will hold a 55% working interest in Block 07 & 08/97 and Premier Oil Vietnam South B.V. will hold the remaining 45% as well as operatorship of the block. On formal completion of Aabar's acquisition, Aabar, VAMEX and Premier will hold 15%, 40% and 45% respectively.

"We are delighted to be entering this highly prospective contract area and look forward to working with VAMEX and renewing our partnership with Premier, which has demonstrated its knowledge of the exploration play in the Nam Con Son Basin with its recent discoveries in Block 12E. We are very pleased with our progress in Vietnam so far and with the encouragement provided by PetroVietnam. Aabar looks forward to the continued growth of our portfolio in the country," said Chris Gibson- Robinson, Aabar's Vice President Operations and New Business Development (Southeast Asia).

VAMEX is an international oil and gas exploration company with operations in Vietnam and Peru and a wholly owned subsidiary of UK-based Pitkin Petroleum Limited.

Premier Oil Vietnam South B.V. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Premier Oil plc, an independent oil and gas company with producing interests in the UK, Indonesia, and Pakistan.

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit www.riglogix.com.

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
United States Houston: Account Rep, Bus Dev, Sr
Expertise: Business Development|Sales
Location: Houston, TX
Business Development Manager
Expertise: Business Development|Construction Manager|Sales
Location: Tempe, AZ
SXL- Manager, Business Development
Expertise: Business Development
Location: Newtown Square, PA
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.47/BBL 0.98%
Light Crude Oil : $49.72/BBL 1.09%
Natural Gas : $2.76/MMBtu 1.09%
Updated in last 24 hours